
Kitten Kast # 200 (right click, save as)
That's right. It's Kitten Kast # 200. Who'd have thought we'd have still been going this far on? I wanted to do something special as it's a bit of a landmark number so I asked a very special guest to sit in on the wheels of steel this week. He's the totally awesome singer, guitarist and driving force behind the mighty Buzzov-en, Kirk Fisher. Yes, the very Reverend Dirtkicker himself. Take it away, Kirk:
Black Sabbath - End of The Beginning
Yeah, that's right the new Sabbath record. I personally think the record is really good and I have it on Endless loop in my car stereo. This song is the catchiest and I'll say this, it does have an Ozzy solo flavor to it too, but i think it's a really strong song. Love Ozzy's vocals, and the breakdown early in the song reminds me a little of "Hand Of Doom". I feel this album is probably my favorite thing released this year. I don't buy a lot of new stuff though, so hey.....I stick with the bands that have got me through from the beginning. Sabbath is definitely in the top 5 bands for me.
Everlast - Lonely Road
Yeah, I'm actually a pretty big fan of Everlast's solo stuff. The rap tracks I'm not that fond of, but most all of his guitar driven bluesy songs are really great tunes. Simple structure and just solid chorus. "Lonely Road" is a good one that I feel kind of describes my path in life. Although I realize its been by my own doing I've led a pretty lonely existence even when surrounded by friends and people when I was on the road with Buzzoven. Even though I was a focus of attention a lot of times I always had a lonely feeling inside. This song has a lot of heart which I think Everlast puts into his music well.
Jamey Johnson - Heaven Bound
I got into Jamey Johnson in the last, like, 3-4 years. He is definitely one of the best singer/songwriters on the country scene that still gets accepted by mainstream country. This song is a bit sappy I'm sure to many, but I love its honesty and description of holding someone's hand and feeling like they were forgiven of everything when they did that simple act. It definitely spoke to me when I was getting clean. It makes me think of my current girlfriend and just, ya know, that as I grow older and I'm trying to live more positively, that I'm eventually gonna go to Heaven, which I do believe in personally. Jamey's songs are just really powerful. Emotional and powerful in the way they can paint a picture. I just really dig listening to his double album "Guitar Song" and "The High Cost Of Living". I may have the titles wrong but all of his songs are good.
Black Flag - My War
Oh yeah. By far my favorite record of all the Black Flag releases. This was one of two records that I first bought when I was 13 and in Catholic grade school in Southern Florida. The other was Circle Jerks' "Group Sex". Also a great album. Anyway, those two records changed my life. I was fresh into skating ramps etc....and Black Flag was always my first choice to shred a ramp too. My War is such a great song describing that inner hate and angst and feeling that really no one was my friend. Me against the fucking world. I saw B.Flag on the end of the My War tour in Tampa Fl. at The Cuban Club. Saw them again a short time after on The Loose Nut tour. Both times were like spiritual experiences for me. 4 people who all looked so different and put together you never could have imagined the sonic burst that came out of the P.A. Awesome to say the least.
Mad Season - River of Deceit
I was so into Alice in Chains. When Mad Season's album hit the shelves I was stoked. This album is in my top 5 of all time. It's a really deep introspective record. If you're a drug addict or struggled with depression etc.....you can relate to Layne's lyrics on this record. "My pain is self chosen", such a strong and truthful statement. I'm pretty sure these 4 guys had each recently gone to rehab, possibly together? Not exactly sure but do know it was at a time when Layne was trying to stay clean. Great song.
Johnny Cash - I See A Darkness
Originally written and performed by Bonnie Prince Billy. He sings backup on Johnny's version. This song just makes me think of bonds I have with only a few select people, whom I've grown to love and feel like their my brothers. Most all of them have had something to do with Buzzoven at some time. I really dig all the American Recordings albums Johnny did with Rubin producing. This is one of my favorite tunes on these. "Thirteen", written by Danzig, is another great though.
Johnny Cash - Thirteen
Story of my life. Well used to be a lot more. Still some in present day though too.
Mark Lanegan - Strange Religion
Really dig a whole bunch of Mark's solo work. I'm not fond of Screaming Trees too much, but "Bubblegum" and "Whiskey for the Holy Ghost" are both kick ass records. He has such a strong deep voice. I'd kill to be able to sing that good.
Social Distortion - When The Angels Sing
Besides loving early Social D. I think "White Light..............White Trash" is a pretty solid record. I think it's amazing how Mike Ness, and Ozzy and Tony Iommi as well as many others, are still rocking out and writing such great music at such older ages. It's inspiring. Just always thought this song was good and I've always been into Angels.
Bl'ast - Tomorrow
Well I just downloaded this yesterday and pre ordered their lost recordings L.P. "Blood" and, besides the recent Sabbath release, it's one of the few things I'm highly excited about. I loved all of Blast's records and they were another band that I skated to and listened to often, especially in my earlier days. It would be great to see them regroup in some way for some shows. It's a new song to me but definitely is solid. Go check em out if you never have.
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Junkie
One of my favorite Skynyrd tunes. Only available on their box set.
No comments:
Post a Comment